Thursday, November 29, 2012

Side Effects

Dry, dry, dry! That's how my mouth and throat feel all the time now. One of the wonderful side effects of my chemo is a consistent dryness that won't go away by taking a drink. The only relief I get is when I have a piece of hard candy in my mouth. That gets the saliva flowing, but once the candy is gone, the saliva stops and I'm sucking on the floor of the Sahara again.

I've also been dealing with mental fatigue and what you might call "brain fog" lately. It's been really hard to focus at work, at home, while driving. Don't worry...I stay off of the freeway when I drive to and from work.

Other than a couple other minor side effects I won't get into, life on chemo keeps humming right along. The hardest part is accepting the fact that there are so many things I just can't do anymore due to weak bones or low energy levels. It's frustrating to not be much of a help around the house and to not be as productive or effective at work. I've always derived great satisfaction from being one of the ones who leads the way professionally, and that's not the case now. I've always hated the times when Noelle has felt like a single mother because I have worked nights or traveled for work and not been around to help. Now I am around, but can't help with a lot of things, so she still feels like a single mom a lot. I think that's the worst side effect of my chemo. Noelle gets the worst one an she's not even the one with cancer. Cancer sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment