Monday, November 5, 2012

The Sacrament Was Never So Important to Me

Well, it's been six days, so I figured I should blog a little. Thankfully, the last six days have been largely uneventful, from a medical standpoint. I'm down to the last eight days of my first chemo cycle, and I'm feeling really well. My energy levels are up, and my PICC line is doing well. I'm on my fourth consecutive day back to work, and getting some things going again on that front.

One of the highlights of the past several days came yesterday, when I was home from church. I have to do my best to stay away from all of the people there, due to the incredible amount of bacteria and viruses being breathed out by everyone around me. But with staying home from church, I lose the opportunity to partake of the Sacrament - the bread and water blessed and passed to the members of the congregation each Sunday. It's the most important part of my Sundays, as I am able to renew the covenants I've made with my Father in Heaven, and re-commit to working each day to become the husband, father and man He would have me become. The words to the Sacramental prayers are as follows:

Blessing on the Bread:
O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this bread to the souls of all those who partake of it, that they may eat in remembrance of the body of thy Son, and witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son, and always remember him and keep his commandments which he has given them; that they may always have his Spirit to be with them. Amen.

Blessing on the Water:
O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this wine to the souls of all those who drink of it, that they may do it in remembrance of the blood of thy Son, which was shed for them; that they may witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they do always remember him, that they may have his Spirit to be with them. Amen.

What a great blessing! As I renew my covenants to take upon myself Christ's name (or live as he would live; do as he would do), always remember him and keep his commandments, I am promised the blessing of having the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost, a member of the Godhead. He is the one Christ called "the Comforter," he "whom the Father [would] send in [Christ's] name, [who's mission is to] teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you" (John 14:26).

So yesterday, after Sacrament Meeting was over, Noelle sent me a text message, telling me that some priesthood holders would come across the street to administer the Sacrament to me, as I couldn't be there to partake with the congregation. It was an immensely special occasion to me, as I was able to focus on the very intimate and personal nature of these covenants and contemplate the love my Father in Heaven and my Savior have for me personally. I wept openly and was so grateful for the opportunity to renew the covenants I made 32 years ago when I was baptized, the covenants I have made in receiving priesthood authority, and the covenants I have made in the temple. My Savior Jesus Christ and my Heavenly Father have supported and sustained me through my entire life, and I feel their love for me even more now as I lean on them and the angels in human form they send my and my family's way to comfort, lift and support us.

By the way, my hair (for now) is still holding strong. I actually check it every day by tugging on it a few times, but nothing seems to be falling out. No guarantees that it will stay that way, of course, but with the cold weather coming, I'm grateful to think that there's a chance I'll be able to keep it.

I'm looking forward to continuing this journey and ensuring that the progress that's been made with my treatments continues. My cell counts are coming down precipitously and I hope to be ready for a bone marrow transplant by February or so. We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment