Saturday, December 1, 2012

A Personal Visit from David A. Bednar

Today, my family had an experience that will stay with us for the rest of our lives. At 2:11 this afternoon, I received a phone call from our current Stake President, who will be released from his calling tomorrow morning in our Stake Conference. "John, it's President Tindle. How are you?" "I'm doing well, thank you." "John, are you and Noelle home this afternoon?" "Yes." "Good. I'd like to stop by and visit with you for a few minutes in a little while with Elder Allen and Elder Bednar. Would that be alright with you?" "Uh...yes, of course." "Great. We'll be by some time between 2:45 and 3:00...maybe a little after that. Will that work for you?" "Of course." "Great. We'll see you then."

Elder David A. Bednar is one of 15 men in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who is sustained and ordained as an apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ today. These men are the president of the Church, his two counselors in the First Presidency, and the twelve men who make up the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. If we were living in the year 45 AD, it would be as if I had been told that one of the apostles like Matthew or Peter or James would be visiting my home. Elder Bednar has been commissioned, as the apostles of old, to "go...into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. ...And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following" (Mark 16:15, 20).

I called my family together and told them that we were to be visited by Elder Bednar in half an hour or so. Gratefully, Noelle keeps a very clean house, so there were no issues there. I shaved. Noelle did her makeup.  We and the kids all got dressed in Sunday dress. We had the kids all go to the bathroom, because we didn't want them to have to go during the visit. =0) Then, we waited. Isaiah was bored. Jenna was feeling sick. Emma, Michael and Abby were fidgety. Noelle and I worked really hard to keep ourselves calm so we could help the kids do the same.

When they arrived, I met President Tindle at the door. He smiled and said, "John, it's good to see you. Thanks for letting us come." (Like I would have said no...) "This is Elder David A. Bednar." (Uh, yeah. I know who he is.) "And this is Elder Stephen B. Allen, who's traveling with him." Elder Allen is an Area Seventy, and is assisting Elder Bednar with the reorganization of our Stake Presidency. They came in and introduced themselves to Noelle and the kids, asking them their names and ages, and paying them little compliments as they did so. I offered the couch to Elder Bednar, and he said with a smile, "That's alright. I think I'll just take the piano bench, if that's OK."

Their visit was wonderful. Elder Bednar began by asking me about my battle with cancer and the prognosis, and then asked me and then Noelle what has surprised us about our own selves as we've been going through this. He then counseled us to remember that the Atonement of Jesus Christ is not just about being made clean. It's also about being strengthened and comforted by the our Lord to accomplish things we could not accomplish on our own. Elder Bednar said that that is the very definition of the grace of God.

Elder Allen recognized Noelle for the burden she carries and told her that the fact that God trusts her with that burden is evidence that she is a choice daughter of God and that God trusts her.

My favorite moment of the visit was when Elder Bednar looked us straight in the eye and said, "I witness that the Lord is personally aware of you. He is mindful of you and all of your needs." When he said, "I witness..." the intensity in his countenance turned up a notch or two, and I could tell that he was speaking for the Lord as His commissioned representative. He assured us that blessings will continue to come to our family as we continue in faith.

There were a lot of other things said, and counsel given, but those are some of the things that stick out. Elder Bednar closed the visit by praying with and for our family. It was beautiful. No flowery language. No over-used rhetoric. Just a child of God praying to his Father in Heaven with sincerity and love. The prayer was not short, but all of the kids - yes, even Isaiah - were super good and super quiet and reverent. Before leaving, he gathered with all seven of us for a picture.



Well, it's only 8:45 at night, and I'm already fighting to stay awake. I really hope this post is coherent. I'll re-read it in the morning to see if I need to edit anything.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm sure that will help strengthen you and your family. I know the Lord knows each one of us but to hear it from an apostle is an amazing blessing. Stay strong my friends. You're always in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing experience! I'm so glad you were able to meet with him and have such a memorable, uplifting visit. I always love his talks in Conference. Stay strong, John. My husband and I will be fasting for you tomorrow.
    Cynthia (Stratford) Rasmussen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing these deeply sacred moments. I'm so thrilled for your family to have such an amazing experience. I can't imagine how much it must have meant given the circumstances. Reading this post also spoke to me personally and is a comfort for the trials I currently face. While seemingly small in comparison with what you and Noelle are enduring, they are a challenge. Your faith is an example and inspiration for all of us whom get to read your blog or know you personally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. John, What a wonderful experience for you and your family ! And thanks for sharing. Elder Bednar has a quiet intensity of spirit and intellect that is quite memorable. Once you have been around him and hear him speak, you feel something special has happened. I loved your analogy, that if you lived in the days of the Savior, this would be like having a visit from Peter or James or John. Linda and I fasted for you and went to the Temple and put your name on the prayer rolls. All the best. Jim and Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a special time for your family to be able to feel the presence and spirit of an apostle of God. I know your family will cherish that moment forever. Thanks for being so open about it. ~Amber Allred DeGraw

    ReplyDelete