Saturday, November 24, 2012

The Tender Mercies of the Lord

This is one of my favorite General Conference talks ever. Elder Bednar will be at our Stake Conference next weekend to reorganize our Stake Presidency. I won't be able to be there, due to my cancer and my weakened immune system, but his words encourage me now. This was his first full-length General Conference address after being called to the Quorum of the Twelve in October 2004. It is still referred to and discussed regularly today among Latter-day Saints (Mormons) in passing or in detail. The impression left on the Church by the Lord's newest apostle was striking and unique. In his first address the previous October, Elder Bednar had said of himself, "As one of the weakest of the weak, I testify that God lives. I testify and witness that Jesus is the Christ. He is our Redeemer and our Savoir, and He lives. ...And, brothers and sisters, the heavens are not closed." The tender mercies of the Lord spoken of by Elder Bednar just six months later exemplify that "the heavens are not closed." I have likewise felt to testify, "as one of the weakest of the weak," of the same as I've contemplated the tender mercies of the Lord shown to me and to my family surrounding my cancer diagnosis, early stages of treatment, and the positive attitude I have been able to maintain through it all. I thought I would share this with any who are interested. You can read it, watch it or just listen to it. Watching it is my preference.

Elder David A. Bednar: The Tender Mercies of the Lord

No comments:

Post a Comment