Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Radioactive Lemonade vs. Barley Green

So, today I had a CT scan and a bone scan to determine if the cancer has spread to any of my bones or vital organs. It was a very interesting process. I entered the doctor's office under orders to have not eaten for four hours - water only. I checked in and was told to go upstairs to the Nuclear Medicine department. They put a flexible IV catheter kink of tube into my left arm (they were thrilled that my veins are about the size of Interstate 80), then shot some kind of radioactive liquid into my arm at noon. Over the following 3 hours, the chemical would gradually seep into my bone tissue so it would scan better. Then I went back downstairs to drink my "radioactive lemonade." With all this radio-active stuff coursing through my veins, I was sure I'd be able to pick up radio stations in Europe when I was done just by twisting my ear or pushing my belly button or something.

So, I get downstairs and they give me a large bottle of yellow liquid that looks like lemon gatorade in color - a very, very unnatural yellow. The ladies upstairs who put my IV in told me it was "awful" and that it tasted "like sludge with crystal light powder mixed in." I might have feared the taste more if my parents hadn't made me try Barley Green (just think liquified barley, spinach, leeks and seaweed with a touch of manure for flavor) when I was a teen. I figured there was NO WAY this stuff could possibly be worse than that. Guess what? I was right. Barley Green is far worse...by a landslide. My radioactive lemon cocktail wasn't that bad at all. It had a somewhat bitter after-taste, but other than that, it was no problem chugging down 8 oz. every 20 minutes for an hour and 20 minutes. Granted, I had to use the boy's room before my scan - and after - but no big deal. The CT scan was fine. Not very different from my MRI, other than the CT scanner is a lot quieter and I had to hold my breath for about 10 to 15 seconds a few times. A small price to pay for the information it will provide.

I was then allowed to go find something to eat, as it was only about 2:00, and I didn't have to be fasting for the bone scan at 3:00. I went down to the cafeteria and had a rather yummy double cheeseburger and fries and read a book. It was a nice break for a little while.

The bone scan was pretty cool, because I got to see the images as they were being taken. They took images of my pelvic bones, then my chest and skull, then they did a head-to-toe scan in six sections. It was actually very cool, because I could see bright spots on the image where I had broken ribs recently. My left shoulder was a little brighter as well, showing the stress it's been under as it's been healing from the injury 4 weeks ago. Anyway, they weren't giving any diagnoses then and there, but were happy to explain what the spots on my ribs meant. It was very intriguing, actually. I'm sure I'll hear by Monday when I'm in for Chemotherapy if there's anything from either of these two scans to be concerned about.

A funny thing happened when I was getting ready to leave. One of the lady's there was telling me I was done and that Dr. Rick would have the results sent to him in short order. I asked if I could see them too. She got this funny little smile on her face and said, "Well...if you call the front dest and tell them that you need your images from both scans put onto a CD...for your doctor...then they'll make one for you that you can pick up...for your doctor. They won't charge you anything for it...because it's for your doctor." So, I think I'll be picking a CD of the images from both scans tomorrow...for my doctor, if the originals he's sent somehow aren't enough. =0)

Isaiah has been in quite a mood lately. He's throwing a fit every five minutes, it seems, and now he says he's doing it because he's "worried about the cancer." Do I believe him? Well, maybe a little, but it's not the only reason. He's been acting like this for a few weeks now, and now I think he has his scape goat. The kids are all still trying to work this all out in their minds and hearts right now on their own levels.

Nothing else to report now, apart from the consistent support that continues to come in via email, Facebook, phone calls, etc. I appreciate them all. Tomorrow, Noelle and I have our Chemotherapy Class, to tell us what to expect and how soon I'll be needing to shave my head. =0)

No comments:

Post a Comment