Sunday, October 7, 2012

Love, Prayers, Meals and a Half Marathon

While there's really nothing new to report, I wanted to summarize some of the incredible responses I've received to the spreading of the news.

Late Friday night, I posted a "Life Event" about my diagnosis on Facebook. Very quickly, comments and words of encouragement and support began flooding in. Some representative comments include:
  • Prayers and hugs for you and your family.
  • John, you're stronger than you know and this will only prove it to yourself and make others wonder where you get your strength. Let it be your testimony. Love to you and yours.
  • Knowing you, with your positive energy you'll beat this thing in no time! Sending you love and good energy.
  • I love you sooo much! If love alone could heal, you would be well tomorrow.
  • Our hearts, love, and support are with you and your family John!!! We have included you and your family in our prayers and want to know we are here to help out in ANY way, shape or form! (That's what GREAT neighbors are for right?) We are right next door and are willing to help with anything at a moments notice. If you need help with kids, meals, housework, yardwork, let us help! I know Noelle is one AMAZING Super Mom, but just know we want to help out in ANY way, if we can help lighten the load. What a GREAT weekend for general conference to fall on! I'm sure you will find peace and comfort in the messages shared. You and your family are such examples of FAITH....I have felt that as we have come to know your family and your testimonies you have shared. Sending love and support your way!
  • The prayers of me, my family, and I'm sure all of the Santa Rosa 1st ward (or whatever it's called now) are with you. Stay strong!!!
  • You've got this buddy, you can beat it!!!!!!
There are lots of well-wishers and supporters. Thursday, Friday and today, meals were provided for my family so we wouldn't have to worry about it. My name has been added to prayer rolls at LDS temples and among members of the Navajo Nation. Word is spreading among current and former friends, neighbors and ward members.

One of the sweetest expressions of support and love has come from Amy Myatt, a dear friend and the younger sister of my best childhood friend. Her initial comments late Friday night warmed my heart:
  • I love you like you were my brother. Lots & lots of love & prayers coming your way. I'll have my kids pray for you too. Give my love to Noelle too.
Then, yesterday afternoon, she posted something as her own Facebook status that was so thoughtful and sensitive:
  • Some people who are our friends for a long time cross over to feel more like family than friends. My brother has a group of best friends that he has been friends with since they were kids... these 4 guys all feel like extended family, like big brothers to me. Last night I found out that one of them was diagnosed with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. Please add him to any prayer lists you know of, pray for him yourself, send him positive & healing thoughts. Please keep his wife & 5 beautiful children in your prayers as well. Whatever you got, whatever you do in these circumstances, please do it. He is a great guy, a strong man & I just know he can beat this!
I couldn't even finish reading the post in one shot because of the tears of gratitude. Thank you, Amy. Her post spawned several well-wishes from among her friends who don't even know me. In fact, this morning, Amy forwarded to me another sweet message one of her friends sent to her last night:
  • Just wanted to dash off a note to let you know I'll think of your friend John tomorrow while I run my first-ever half marathon. It's a Lymphoma & Leukemia fundraising event. He can be my inspiration when I start to feel a bit tired! I'm sorry for him and for his family that they have to face this ugly trial and I wish him the best!  xoxo, Hayden
I am truly blessed to have so many wonderful friends.


The semi-annual General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was held yesterday and today. Abigail had a once in a lifetime opportunity to sing in a youth choir at the Saturday afternoon session. That was wonderful. Also, many of the talks seemed to be spoken directly to me and added some comfort and perspective to what I have already received through the Holy Ghost. I feel a deep sense of peace as I begin this journey...this fight. All is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment