Thursday, October 11, 2012

Chemo Class. Chemo Cocktail. Chemohawk???

Today Noelle and I went to a Chemotherapy Class, where we learned a lot. We discussed some things I had already considered, like side effects and their timing relative to treatments, and some that I hadn't considered, like diet, exercise, and the fact that different chemotherapy medicines are put together for a patient's treatment, like fruit cocktail. 

So, on that last point, here's my Chemo Cocktail recipe. It's called the FCR recipe:

  • Fludara (Fludarabine) - disrupts the growth of cancer cells (and some normal cells)
  • Cytoxan (Cyclophosphamide) - disrupts the growth of cancer cells (and some normal cells), which are then destroyed.
  • Rituxan (Rituximab) - attaches to certain cancerous white blood cells (and some normal cells), then brings other immune cells to help kill the cancer cells.
  • A few other meds: one to fight nausea, one help the anti-nausea medicine to work better, and a third to prevent or decrease allergic response.

This FCR Chemo Cocktail will likely include many of the following side effects in varying degrees:

  • Nasal and sinus congestion during infusion
  • Chills
  • Fever
  • Allergic reactions
  • Decreased white blood cell count with increased risk of infection
  • Decreased platelet count with increased risk of bleeding
  • Hair loss
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Loss of appetite
  • Fatigue
  • Headache
  • Diarrhea
  • Constipation
  • Difficulty sleeping
  • Moodiness / Irritability
  • Mouth sores

Not bad, right? =0)

My kids all wanted to know when I'd begin to lose my hair so they can shave my head. I was told that my FCR Cocktail should produce the first hair loss by day 14, with all of it gone by day 21. So sometime before Halloween, my hair should be gone. So, I may or may not have any hair on my head for Jenna's baptism on the 27th of this month. We'll just have to wait and see. One of my old mission companions suggested that I wear a mohawk and call it a "chemohawk," as did one of his friends. Unfortunately for me, if the chemo takes any of my hair, it will take it all. Perhaps my kids will want to go to that point in shaving my head and take some pictures before shaving it all. Stay tuned for pictures to be posted before the end of the month.

Moving forward, my diet needs to be high protein (limiting beef and pork), low fat and low carb. I need to eat 5 or 6 small meals each day with high-protein snacks in between, as chemo causes an increase in stomach acid. Keeping food in the gut (even when I don't want to eat at all) reduces the chance of acid reflux and heartburn. I need to exercise for about 30 minutes a day, even if it's just walking around the house on the days I'm feeling the worst.

Everyone in my home needs to get a flu shot, sooner than later, because my catching the flu can be dangerous as my immune system will be severely weakened against viruses. If anyone in my house gets a fever, I need to wear a face mask around them. 

Now, lest you think that it's all doom-and-gloom, there are some fun things we learned about some free services that are offered to us. For example, once a month, Noelle and/or I can come in and get a free therapeutic seated massage. There are support groups for me (the patient), for Noelle (the caregiver), and for the kids in different age groups. Meditation, yoga, even housekeeping services are also available. The one I'm actually most excited about is the men's cancer support group. Aside from having monthly meetings to discuss a variety of topics, every fall and spring, they receive a fly fishing trip...FREE! Are you kidding me?!? I've heard before that fly fishing is incredibly relaxing, and have thought several times that I'd like to try it, but this was totally unexpected. The trips are in September and March, complete with a river guide, all the equipment and gear we would need, food and accommodations. And did I mention that it's free? Pretty cool, I must say.

Anyway, I'm very glad we went, and I learned so much. While I'm not thrilled about all of the side effects the chemotherapy may produce, I'm comfortable going through them in order to save my life and extend my time on this earth with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment