Friday, October 5, 2012

Feeling Good

Today has been a pretty good day. Work was typical. After returning home, we sat down for dinner, then after completing "Peaches and Pits" (our daily discussion of each of our highs (peaches) and lows (pits) for the day), Noelle and I told the kids what's going on. We were both impressed with their initial reactions. Lots of questions. Lots of concerns. Lots of opportunity for Noelle and I to reassure them that the reason we're going to fight this cancer is because there's a good chance we'll win the war against it. We told them some of the things they can expect, i.e. Dad's going to get more sick before he gets better, Dad's hair is probably going to start to fall out, etc. Actually, we told the kids that as soon as my hair starts to fall out, the boys can shave my head, as they're the ones who have to put up with me cutting their hair. Michael wants to shave a smiley face into the back of my hair, and I think Isaiah wants to give me a mohawk. I'll post some pictures when that day comes. Overall, though, the kids took the news pretty well.

I had a great phone conversation with Mike Myatt tonight after putting Abby to bed. Over the past several years, he and Frances have become very active in their church, which is so good to see. They and their boys really seem to enjoy it all. Mike and I were able to see eye to eye and talk a bit about how I feel that (without our knowledge) God has been preparing me, Noelle and our kids to be able to handle this trial. I don't suggest that it won't be difficult. I only suggest that it is something that we will be able to get through. Anyway, it was so good to talk about this with the man who has been there for me through so many things in life, to feel his incredible love and support, and to know that he'll be praying for my recovery just as much as my own family will be. He's even going to be adding my name to the "prayer chain" at his church. Time may pass, and distance and life's busy-ness may separate us, but true friendship never dies. I love Mike as fiercely as a brother. I'm honored to call him my friend and to have that feeling reciprocated. He is a "salt-of-the-earth" kind of guy, a devoted son, brother, husband, father, uncle and friend. Thanks for everything, Mike, over 3 decades...and counting. =0)

Tonight I'm feeling a tremendous amount of gratitude...
   ...gratitude for parents, teachers, leaders, a wife, children, friends, a Father in Heaven, and a Savior who have all worked hard to teach and show me what life is all about.
   ...gratitude that I'm not falling apart emotionally, psychologically and/or spiritually at the news of my disease, as many do.
   ...gratitude that I've been tremendously blessed with great health throughout the course of my first 40 years of mortality.
   ...gratitude for the love and support of those closest to me who will sustain me when I need it (and probably won't want it because I'm stubborn like that).
   ...gratitude for the gift of music, which has absolutely lifted and encouraged me over the past week and communicated to my spirit things that can't be put into words.
   ...gratitude for an amazing woman who has stood (and will continue to stand) by my side through every trial and affliction that comes our way. I know that not all husbands and wives are so fortunate and my heart aches for them.
   ...gratitude for my Savior, Jesus Christ, who suffered both in the Garden of Gethsemane and again on the cross for my sins and my afflictions. I've reflected several times over the past week and a half on the following words from the Book of Mormon:

    "And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.
   "And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities."
                          - Alma 7:11-12

In addition to suffering anguish of body and spirit for the sins that I commit, so that I may be forgiven as I repent and continue in my efforts to accept his invitation to follow him, he also suffered for my pains, sicknesses and infirmities so he who was without sin can know perfectly how to succor me in my hour of need. All he asks of me is to seek him, and he'll be there for me. The Savior has given us the following promises:

   "Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you; seek me diligently and ye shall find me; ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you."
                          - Doctrine and Covenants 88:63

I trust those promises with all my heart.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for inviting me to your blog. We will be praying for you! And dont worry about your hair falling out, it was gonna happen in a few years anyway. We love you!

    ReplyDelete