Monday, June 16, 2014

To Heck with the Risks - It's My Sister's Wedding!

My blood counts have been stable for months. My GVH hasn't been as bad over the past week or so. I feel great. So, what did I do? I decided to fly to Austin, TX to see my older sister, Gwen, get married to her best friend, Yasir. Why is that such a big deal? Well...

Airplanes and hotels aren't known for being the most sanitary of places. Think about it... You've been planning a trip to Location X for months. Now, the day before your trip, you fall ill with a cold or flu. Do you cancel your vacation or incredibly important business trip? No. You load up on over-the-counter meds that mask your symptoms and go on your trip. But just because your symptoms are masked doesn't mean you're not breathing germs into the air that can make those around you sick. And for the immunocompromised people sitting around you, that's really not a good thing. Your germs get on the airplane seat, on the tray table in front of you, on the arm rests, on the seat belt, on the handle to and out of the lavatory. Your germs are spread throughout the hotel room, getting on the door knobs and light switches, the faucet handles and alarm clock, the TV and remote control, the phone, the mini-fridge, the microwave, the tables, desk and chairs. Do you really think the flight crew on the plane or the housekeeping staff in your hotel wipe all of that stuff down with Lysol wipes every time the plane or hotel room is vacated? Not on your life. But for me, it is about my life.

Some immunocompromised people I know don't like wearing the filtered mask their doctors have given them in public, even in close quarters with others you don't know and don't know whether they are sick or healthy. Why? I'm not sure. Perhaps it's because they don't want to draw too much attention to themselves. Perhaps it's because the masks aren't terribly comfortable. Maybe they figure "Hey, I'm feeling well. It's not that big of a risk." But the fact is, a "simple" cold or flu bug, RSV, or other illness that you can fight off with a healthy immune system in a matter of a few days can land you in a hospital bed, an ICU bed, or the grave with limited or no immune capabilities. I wear my mask. Anyway...enough of my little rant. Back to the good stuff...


So I flew from Salt Lake City to Phoenix and then on to Austin, Texas late Friday night. At breakfast Saturday morning, I learned just how deep Texans' state pride runs...


Gwen and Yasir were married at noon on Saturday. It was a beautiful service, conducted by one of their dearest friends, Elaine. Yasir was as handsome as always, and Gwen was glowing with happiness, which made her natural beauty all the more breathtaking. The wedding and reception were fun, and I enjoyed being with my parents and my Texas family for the day. Here's are some pictures...









After the reception, my sister Christy (Linda) and her husband, Paul, took me to the airport to pick up my rental car because I had arrived at 2 a.m. and all the car rental places were closed. After that, we all went out to dinner at Abel's, which is a really fun restaurant with GREAT food. My nephew, Riki, treated me to dinner for my upcoming birthday. We had such a great time. Here's a picture of all of us on the patio.

 The group at dinner, clockwise, from front-left: Jason, Dad, Mom, Beth and Derek, Paul, Christy, Aaron, Jeanee, Lexi, Riki (Steven), me, Jordan.

 Fried Pickles, a Texas specialty. Wow. So Good!

Pork chop, garlic mashed potatoes and green beans. Super good. Thanks, Riki!

I'm so glad I made this trip, which, by the way, is a combined Father's Day and birthday (and every other gift-giving occasion for the net five years) gift from Noelle. I love her so much for giving me this opportunity to see my sweet sister married and spend time with family. Most of them came to the family reunion last summer, but I was mostly incoherent during what I've come to call my "Three Weeks of Hell." For those who only recently have begun to follow my blog, you can read the post from last July called "An Unexpected Hiatus" for more info on what that's all about. Anyway, Noelle's holding down the fort on her own for four days while I'm here, and I'm so grateful for the blessing she is in my life.

So, I figured, I'm traveling to Austin, Texas for the first (and perhaps only) time in my life. I may as well experience it a little. I'm staying through tomorrow (Tuesday). Yesterday was Father's Day, so I went to Lexington, a little town (population 1,177) where Christy and Paul live with Jason (Christy's youngest) and Beth (Christy's 2nd of 5 kids) and Beth's two sons, Jordan and Derek. Mom and Dad joined me and Beth and her boys at Beth's branch Sacrament Meeting and then went to Christy and Paul's place for the day. We had a gerat time just hanging out, playing games (it's the Mann Clann, after all), and talking all afternoon and evening. After a gerat dinner and dessert, and about 1/2 an hour "FaceTime-ing" with my kids (I love modern technology), I drove back to my hotel and tossed and turned until I finally fell asleep some time around 3 a.m. It's just hard for me to sleep without Noelle by my side. 17-1/2 years of sleeping next to someone you love deeply will do that to you. =0)

Anyway, today, I'm meeting Gwen, Yasir, Mom, Dad and Christy for lunch at The Salt Lick - a supposedly great BBQ place South-West of Austin, then sight-seeing the rest of today and tomorrow until I have to check in at the airport around 5:00 for my 6:45 flight home. It should be fun. 

Well, that's about it for now. I'll post more in the next few days about today and tomorrow's activities. Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment