Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Work? Really? Not yet.

Here we are...it's April 1st. I can't believe we're 1/4 of the way through the year! I guess it's good that things are just moving along with no really big news.

I'm only visiting the BMT clinic every other week now with no blood work being done at the Intermountain Medical Center on the off weeks any more. I continue to take fewer and fewer meds every day. At one point, I took close to 50 pills a day, and now it's under 20. The numbers we're seeing in my blood work are about as stable as could be. Nothing remarkable at all. I'm so blessed. There are so many people with Plasma Cell Leukemia who never make it to transplant, through transplant, or beyond transplant with any semblance of decent health. A lot go into the hospital and never come out alive. Every day I thank God that I'm doing so well.

At today's clinic appointment, Noelle and I were talking with Dr. Hoda, and he said I could return to work now if I want or feel the need to. Noelle had asked when it might be safe to do so, and she and I were both anticipating he'd say something like "after you've been reimmunized," or something like that. Surprise! And it wasn't an April Fools Day joke, either. We all agree that part-time to begin is the best option, so we don't overtax my energy levels. Here's the thing...I'm kind of working part-time already with the voice lessons I've been giving for the past two months. AND...I really don't feel the need to go back to a traditional job right now. We've learned how to live off of the Social Security Disability payments I'm receiving, and I'm not interested in taking the chance of getting sick from someone at work for some "job."

I don't remember if I've blogged about this decision yet, but I've decided to not go back to sales if I can avoid it. I'm good at it, but the passion I once had for it is gone. I want to go to work for an organization like the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, the National Marrow Donor Program (BeTheMatch.org), the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation, the American Cancer Society, or an organization like those. Working in advocacy, fundraising, public speaking, marketing, event planning, or something like that would be awesome...and something I could be incredibly passionate about. I just need to develop and work my connections in those organizations so when something comes up I can be the first one they call.

I have 12 voice students now and things are going well with that. On May 1st, Amanda VandenAkker and I will be holding a joint recital for our voice students at Riverton Music's recital hall in West Valley City. Abby (who studies voice with Amanda) will be singing "Spark of Creation" and five of my students will be singing as well. I'll also be singing "Agony," a duet from Into the Woods with Ryan Lee (who also studies with Amanda). It will be the first time I've sung in a vocal recital in 11 years - since my graduate recital at CSU Sacramento. Amanda and I have decided to perform together in a joint recital later this summer. We'll each perform a couple sets on our own, then finish with some duets. It's gonna be so fun.

I've also decided, after discussing it with Noelle, that committing to do three 1/2 marathons this year might be a little too aggressive a goal. I mean, really. After what my body has been through, 13.1 miles in one shot is a lot to train for. I've decided to start with a 5K (3.1 miles, which I know I can walk with basically no training at all), then do a 10K (6.2 miles) or two, and later a 15K (9.3 miles). If I can manage that this summer, then maybe we'll shoot for a 1/2 marathon next summer. I just need to take this in steps, I think.

My friends who relapsed and had to go through the transplant process again are doing well. Houston is back home and Rebecca is doing well and should be returning home soon. Miracles keep happening for both of them. Rebecca was sent to the ICU with lungs that were hemorrhaging, and doing really poorly. They honestly weren't sure if she was going to make it. Then one day her condition improved dramatically. It was the same day her family and some others held a special fast for her. Fasting and prayer work. Christ explained to his apostles once that in certain cases, prayer and even priesthood blessings (the laying on of hands) is not enough, and that fasting is a necessary act of faith.

Well, I can't think of anything else to say. There once was a time when updates came fast and furious, sometimes multiple times a week. Gratefully, we've reached a point in which there's just not a lot of news. I'll be hitting one year post-transplant at the end of May, and that will be a more active time for updates. I'll be holding my second annual donor drive, attempting to make contact with my donor, and going through a bunch of tests to ensure that the cancer is still gone. In the mean time, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and praying for continued wellness every day. It's in God's hands, and I'm good with that. =0)

2 comments:

  1. Awesome news! And I think it's great that you are wanting to work for one of our cancer organizations. I think you'll be a great asset to any one of them. I didn't realize you were a vocal teacher/coach. My husband is getting his doctorate in guitar at the Univ. of South Carolina, so we are a musical household as well. I am so glad to hear you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susie. Best wishes to you and your husband.

      Delete