Monday, April 28, 2014

GVHD Update and Some Good News

It's only been a few days, but I wanted to post an update on how things are going with my GVHD. It seems to be going away, or at least subsiding quite a bit. My appointment at the BMT clinic went well. I was given a new prescription for that cream I talked about in my last post...only this time it was for a 1-pound vat of the stuff. My skin is nowhere near as rashy or dry as it was, and I don't itch quite as regularly. Then again, I was itching 24/7, so any improvement in that regard is a good one. I'm hoping that with the continued use of the cream it'll go away completely so I don't have to bump up my Cyclosporine again or go back on steroids. That would be a huge bummer because it would delay further my re-entry into society...able to work, able to attend church, able to go to public places without my mask, etc.

Good news...My friend Rebecca is finally out of the hospital. She had a really rough go of things following her second transplant which was necessitated by her relapse. I discussed her relapse in a post on February 15th called "When Science Isn't Enough." When I went into the clinic on Friday, she and her mom were there in the infusion room while Rebecca was getting a dose of Vidaza. She looks tired and worn down still, but so much better than she looked a week and a half before when we stopped by to see her as an inpatient at my previous clinic visit. It did my heart good to know that she was out of the hospital and able to sleep in her own bed...and not be hooked up to a pole constantly. That, my friends is one of the most frustrating things about being an inpatient. You've got to take that blasted pole with you everywhere you go...on your walks around the unit, to the bathroom, to the shower. Ugh. Anyway, I'm thrilled that she's out of the hospital. Recovery goes so much faster out of the hospital than in.

I get to see Mike Myatt (the kingpin of "the guys") this afternoon and Friday evening, as he's traveling through Salt Lake City between Sacramento and Boston. He has some business stuff going on in Boston this week and was able to get flights that had layovers here in SLC. It's always good to see him.

That's it for now. One of my shortest posts ever is in the books...

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing a happier update! And so glad you and Mike got to catch up. Still remember all of you 'older' guys having lockers around me in high school....too funny what the mind retains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, I don't comment very often, but it is wonderful to hear about your health and to stay apprised of you and your family. Thanks so much for keeping us all informed. Did I miss a post? Are you still going to run a half marathon? I'll see you Thursday at the recital.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!! So glad you are getting relief from the GVHD rash!

    ReplyDelete