Thursday, June 20, 2013

Home for Father's Day and My Recovery

Miracles happen. I was able to leave the hospital just 16 days after my transplant. Dr. Clyde Ford, one of my Oncologists, says he's pretty sure that's a record. I feel pretty good, though my energy levels fail me before I want or expect them to. Noelle says I do too much, and she's probably right. She has me napping every day to regain my strength.

Father's Day was nice...mostly. My wife and kids did everything they could to make it a relaxing, memorable day for me, but four of them were not healthy. Noelle and Jenna had low-grade fevers and Noelle had stomach cramps that made it difficult to impossible for her to eat. Michael and Emma both had fevers (Michael's was 102 degrees and Emma's was over 100 degrees) and weren't interested in eating much. So I got up and got breakfast for the kids, and let Noelle sleep in a little. She got up around 10:00, in time to get herself ready and take kids to Church for Sacrament meeting. Michael and Emma's fevers hadn't risen to the levels I've mentioned yet. It wasn't until the afternoon that they started to do so. Some of us had my Father's Day meal of choice: milkshakes. Granted, that WOULD NOT have been what I chose for dinner under normal circumstances, but eating solid foods is a chore right now. Even with over half of us not feeling well, the kids and Noelle all gave me little gifts. The kids had each filled out a paper called "Meet My Dad." It was pretty funny to see how each of my kids chose to describe me. Also, there were lots of little gifts made at home or at church. Noelle gave me a framed thing about fathers. It's hard to describe, so here's a picture of it.


My "big" Father's Day and Birthday gift came a few weeks ago while at the hospital: a brand new iPad. It was very helpful in the hospital, as my laptop is on the fritz and truly hates me, I think.

We're moving forward with the donor drive that's scheduled for my birthday, June 28th. I'll have plenty of volunteers, and should have more than 100 people coming to register in person. There are two people I know who have gotten their kits and sent them in already. One is going to a drive this weekend. Another has ordered her kit. My mother tells me of two people she works with who have committed to order the kits and join the registry. Hopefully, she'll follow up with them and ensure they keep their promise. That's 6 people already added or being added. I'm excited for the drive.

My energy levels get better every day. I still get nauseous and puke every so often - about once a day - but it's not too much to deal with. I just wish I had more lead time with my nausea. I get that nauseous feeling, and I've got about 30 seconds or so until I'm puking. That's frustrating and sometimes inconvenient, but what can I do about it? Nothing, unfortunately.

Well, not too much to report, I guess. At least I don't know what else to say, so I'll just end for now.

2 comments:

  1. Just to let you know we're following your progress. Enjoy all of your blogs and are amazed at the amazing progress. Love Doug and Cecile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Doug and Cecile. I still feel so blessed by your visit during my first hospital stay. And the blessings deep on coming... =0)

      Delete