Thursday, June 6, 2013

A Room With a View

The worst part of my first 18 days here has been the view - or lack thereof - out my window. I've been looking westward at another wing that runs parallel to this one. I've been in the wrong part of the building to have any view at all. Actually, to be perfectly honest, I HAVE had a view of Temple Square...when I'm standing by my bathroom door. Other than that, just a view of the west wing of the building. 

I think it pays to be a patient that everyone likes (pardon me while I pull a muscle patting my own back). The entire nursing staff and all of the doctors have known that when a room with a nice view becomes available, I have wanted them to let me know about it. Well, Wednesday morning, Dr. Sarada Krishnamurthy let Noelle and I know that room 854 would be vacated yesterday and that if I wanted to do so, I could move into it after it had been properly cleaned. We were also told that room 803 would likely become available on Saturday. Rooms with even numbers look out their windows to the east, and odd numbers to the west. The only odd-numbered rooms with a view of anything other than the building would be rooms on the end, like 801 or 803, with views of the valley to the south-west. Perhaps room 853, on the north end, might have a view of Ensign Peak, but not great. So, yesterday evening, I went for a walk around the unit, and when I got to the nurses' station, I asked if 854 had been vacated yet and if so, if I could see it briefly to decide if it would be worth it for me to move to it. I was taken down to the room, which had JUST been vacated. Wow! Two windows instead of one, side by side, with the bed right next to the window. The room is really big, too. With the length of this stay, why in the world wouldn't I want it? Yes, there's the chance that just a day from now, a room with a spectacular view of the valley and the temple would become available, but I didn't want to peg my hopes on that, only to find that the view isn't as good as I had hoped. I jumped on the opportunity to take room 854. I'm so glad I did. 

Here's the view from my last room, East 811...

And here's a shot of my new room...

And my new view... 

1 comment:

  1. Nice. I'm so glad you get to look at nature. To me, that is the most calming sight. Add inspirational music and you can't help but feel better. Love you!

    ReplyDelete