Friday, May 24, 2013

Under Way with Transplant #2

So I'm here in the hospital, room East 811, and wishing I had a room with a better view...i.e. ANY view. Other than that, though, things are pretty good.

In my last post, I listed the things I wanted to do with my last week out of the hospital. I'm pretty happy to report that I accomplished most of it. Noelle and I went to the Tracy Aviary in Liberty Park downtown. We went to lunch at the Market Street Grill. I went to the temple with Abby to do baptisms for the dead. The next morning, Noelle and I went to all-you-can-eat french toast at Kneaders Bakery and then to the temple to do some ordinance work. I went with my brother David to get tile for our new shower. I was treated to a round of golf by Dr. Jim Smith, my old collegiate choir director and voice teacher from BYUH. Not only did we have a great time, I also shot my best score ever on a Par 72 course.



Unfortunately, our plans to go to Arches National Park on Friday were botched, so I went out that morning and played an other round of golf. I didn't score nearly as well on that round. Noelle and I went to a Salt Lake Bees game and dessert with David, Brook, Jeff and Rachelle.


Our family spent some good time playing some games together at home, and on this Monday morning, I took the kids to Kneaders for breakfast before school. Noelle suggested that to me on Sunday, as I would be entering the hospital Monday afternoon. I liked the suggestion, and the kids and I had a good time and enjoyed the delicious food.


The first few days here in the hospital have been OK. Chemotherapy has begun, but gratefully my neutrophil counts are still good enough that Noelle and I have been able to get outside for a walk or two each day. I was going to participate in a study with some test medication (or a placebo) to prevent people in my position from contracting c-diff, but as it turns out, I have contracted it early and won't be participating in the study. I feel fine, though, and don't have the horrible constant diarrhea that tends to go along with it. Chemo is given VERY early in the morning, and tends to make me pretty sleepy during the day. There are two more days of it, and then two "rest days" on Monday and Tuesday of next week. Finally, on Wednesday, the 29th, I will receive the stem cells from my donor that may save my life in a very literal sense. After that, we just wait for the stem cells to engraft and start producing blood cells.

That's about all for now. I'm not in pain, and I'm just taking it easy. I miss my kids, though. Tonight, when I talked with each of them on the phone, I asked them to draw me some pictures to put up on the walls of my hospital room. They each agreed to do so, so by Sunday afternoon, I should have some nicely decorated walls that help me feel closer to my kids.

10 comments:

  1. So glad you're not in pain. Sounds like you had a great week last week. Best continued wishes to you and your family.

    p.s. your neighbor's home went under contract for sale the day after I looked at it. Too bad, that would have been fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sam. Yes, it would have been a lot of fun, but I understand that the family that bought the house next door is a good LDS family with three small kids. Perfect for babysitting opportunities for Abby now and Michael and the others in time. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Great to read you're not in pain John! Love your posts and your family. Hugs to all of you from the Jackson's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John,
    Darn, wish you had a better view up there! Preston and I have been thinking about you and your family. We would love to come meet and visit with you and Noelle but only if you're up to it. If so, let us know when would be a good time.
    You hang in there!!
    Lori and Preston

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori. Noelle is here with me pretty much Mon - Fri 9-5. If Preston has a clinic visit in the next couple weeks you want to coordinate with your visit to us, that would be fine. Even if my body feels pretty crappy, I'm always up to visits from people who care. Thanks. I hope we can finally work this out and meet the two of you. I hope Preston and you are doing well. Take care.

      Delete
  4. Praying things continue to go well, John! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! Today's my NEW, new birthday. =0) Watch for a new post within the next 24 to 48 hours.

      Delete
  5. Today is the day and I'll be with you in spirit. I love you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sister! I love you so much, too!!! You can sing me the "New New Birthday Song" from Texas today. It Goes, "Happy, happy, happy birthday to you...
      Happy, happy, happy birthday to you...
      Happy, happy, happy birthday dear Jo-ooooohhnn...
      Happy, happy, happy birthday to you!!!"

      Delete