Sunday, May 12, 2013

One Week to Go, and I'm Gonna Make the Most of It!

In one week, I'll be admitted to LDS Hospital for my allogeneic stem cell transplant. Over the first several days following, I will be receiving a round of very high-dose chemotherapy medications that will wipe out my white blood cells and all of my bone marrow. Through and following that chemotherapy and for the following couple weeks, I'll feel like death just barely warmed over. It will take a couple weeks for my donor's stem cells to engraft and begin to generate new blood cells. With no white blood cells and levels of red blood cells and platelets diminishing daily, my energy levels will be very, very low, and Noelle will have to work hard to get me out of my bed and go for little walks around East 8. BUT...

In the mean time, I feel absolutely great. My energy levels are good, and I have a week before I need to be concerned with what's coming, so I'm gonna make the most of the week I have. What shall I do?

I'm going to play at least one round of golf. I don't have much money, and I need to have a golf cart to preserve my energy levels, so I can only afford Fore Lakes Golf Course, at about $10 a round, as I recall.

I'm going to drive my family down to Arches National Park and see the really famous arch that's on Utah auto licence plates. My kids don't know this, so please don't say anything to them.

I'm going to go see a baseball game. I wish I could see a San Francisco Giants game, but the Salt Lake Bees will have to do.

I'm going to enjoy all-you-can-eat french toast at Kneaders Bakery and Cafe with Noelle.

I'm going to spend (or waste?) some time playing some games on the XBox 360 that I earned at work last December. Since installing it shortly after Christmas, I think I've spent a total of about 30 minutes on it. I hear it's a blast. I should really find out for myself.

What else am I going to do? Aside from a couple things I have to take care of for Noelle, that's about all I have planned. I have no idea what else I should do. I'll take a walk every day. I may go out and play another round of disc golf. I played for the first time on Saturday evening with my brothers David and Jeff. Noelle suggested we could go to the Tracy Aviary. She's been with the kids a couple times, but I've never been and we have free tickets. I don't know what else, though. Perhaps I'll solicit some ideas from others who have lived in the Salt Lake Valley longer than I have. I just know I don't want to sit around doing nothing this week. I'll have plenty of time to do nothing over the course of the four to six weeks I'm in the hospital for my transplant. But until then...

I'm gonna make the most of my time and energy! I just need to come up with more to do!

4 comments:

  1. Hi John, My name is Sandy and my husband Paul has MM also. He was just recently discharged from East 8 having had his autologous transplant. As I read this, I can tell how very much you love and appreciate your sweet family and all the blessings you have.

    I gather this is your second transplant? You seem to know what you are in for. Paul swore never again, yet I know he would do anything to be here for his kids. He is missing his son's out-of-town wedding tomorrow and is heartbroken, but it is too soon after discharge.

    Our hearts and prayers go out to you. We will be praying for a complication-free transplant and for your speedy recovery.

    Hang tough John...you will get through this.
    -Sandy & Paul Turnblom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy,

      It was great to receive your comment and words of encouragement. I'm so sad to hear that Paul had to miss his son's wedding. I can empathize. I was going to be the best man for the second wedding of one of my old mission companions on the last weekend of April. Unfortunately, it would have required me to be in the Logan LDS Temple for the wedding and up in Idaho for a reception the next day. It was hard to tell my friend that I couldn't do it on account of A) the dangers of being surrounded by so many people breathing who-knows-what germs into the air at the wedding and reception, even with my big white filtered mask, and B) the fact that I didn't know at the time how quickly we would be able to find a donor for my second transplant or when it would take place. I've missed kids' events at school and church.

      Yes, this is my second transplant. My autologous was on February 22 of this year. This second one will be allogeneic. You can read previous blog posts to see why we're doing both and why so close together. It was late December or early January when that decision was made.

      I hope Paul's recovery goes beautifully and that you are able to bear up under the tremendous burdens that fall on the caregiver. My wife is a super star, and I'm sure you are, as well.

      Best wishes,
      John

      Delete
  2. Hi John- Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Here's to wishing for a complication free hospital stay and transplant. Lots of love from the other side of the Ottesen family.

    XOXO
    Kathy Ottesen

    ReplyDelete