Sunday, March 10, 2013

Auto Transplant Day 16

OK, so I'm posting before the end of the day. What's up with that? Well, this morning, I was given clearance to go back onto a food diet - low microbial, so no grapes, pineapple, etc, and also light on dairy products, as they can be kinda tough on a stomach that hasn't had real food in it for a while.

Also, I was told that I can go home tomorrow afternoon IF I can avoid puking and IF I can eat enough calories to show that I won't starve without my TPN (IV nutrition). That's the best news ever!!! Tomorrow will be my 21st day in the hospital this time around, so even with the typhlitis, I'm still on the short end of what was anticipated for the length of this inpatient stay.

My nausea has been under control. When I brushed my teeth this morning, though, I gagged a bit and almost threw up. I don't know if they would count that, but I don't think I'm brushing my teeth tonight or tomorrow morning. Before you get grossed out by that, just consider the old adage  "Desperate times call for desperate measures." I can't afford to have something like that force me to stay here any longer. I think I've eaten enough calories to get me out of here, too, but I'm not taking any chances. I'm eating as much as I can stand without going overboard.

So, some of my hair apparently wasn't/isn't falling out. I've been growing some hair on top of my head, so I'll have to ask a friend of mine in our ward (Matt Moore) the best way to shave a head regularly, as his head is almost always clean-shorn. Also, some of my facial hair is growing in, though much, much slower than usual. As with the top of my head, there are patches where it's not growing back, though, so I'll need to shave every few days until it looks like it's done trying to grow.

Noelle spent the majority of the day with me, and her sister, Emily, brought the kids around 5:00. We took a walk and the kids had fun with the little blue face masks. Jenna had to wear one because she might have a cold. It may just be allergies, but who can be sure? So after she put one on, the other kids (except Abby) all wanted one. I think they'll end up in the chest of dress-up clothes.

My former stake president and his wife, Doug and Cecile Scribner, are probably going to come by tomorrow around lunch time to say hello and chat for a while. It will be nice to see them. Doug was Stake President when I left on my mission and when I returned. Here's a funny anecdote... After my exit interview with President Scribner, and being told by him to remove my name tag that had identified me as a commissioned representative of Jesus Christ for the previous 24 1/2 months, I was pretty depressed. We walked out of his home office and into his living room, where Cecile and my parents (long-time friends) had been talking. Sister Scribner said to me, "I understand your girl friend is at your home waiting for you. I can tell you're upset, so let me tell you what you need to do. I want you to go home and make out with her." After two years of not even hugging a female, that was quite the counsel to hear. BUT... I trusted and respected Cecile, as she was the mother of one of my friends, and I knew her well. So, what else could I do? I had to follow her counsel. I went home and made out with Noelle. Five days later, we were engaged, and eleven weeks after our make-out session, we were married. I guess Cecile knew what she was doing. =0)

Anyway, that's it for today. Hopefully, my next post will be written from home. =0)

1 comment:

  1. I can't even believe I would say such a thing! Imagine! And I didn't make any comments about those three "feeders" either. We enjoyed our visit with you immensely! Love you both, Cecile

    ReplyDelete