Saturday, February 23, 2013

Auto Transplant: Day 1

Goals for the day:
- Shave and shower - check
- Get up and go on walks around my unit - two down, one or two to go.
- Reduce or eliminate nausea - Adavan and Compazine are being employed for that.
- Increase my appetite - Merinol is the choice there.
- Decrease water retention - I've been retaining water like crazy since getting here on Tuesday, to the point that I've added about 8 pounds in weight.For now, they've decided to take me off of my "maintenance" saline solution that they have constantly had dripping into me since getting here.
- Bump up my immune system. I've spoken about IVIG in previous posts, and they'll be giving me some of that in the next few minutes.

I'm constantly tired and that's a bummer, cause I don't like to just sit or lay around all day long. But it's expected, because I was just reborn yesterday. I have a great team of doctors, nurses, aides family and friends who will come and lift my spirits and force me out of bed to go on walks and play games, etc. Anyway, they've put some Benadryl in me for my IVIG infusion, and it makes me groggy. I can't think straight, so I'll end this now.

4 comments:

  1. Most people only get spiritually reborn, but you get spiritual and physical rebirth.
    Love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phil,
    My husband Preston, who was diagnosed with multiple myeloma early in November came across your blog. He will be admitted on March 12th for his stem cell transplant that will take place where you are! We have also been talking to Dr. Ashe. He was fortunate enough to collect 12 million stem cells in just one day this past Tuesday.
    I want to thank you for creating this blog and hope that you're doing well. Who knows, maybe we'll run into you walking the halls. You have a beautiful family and even though we've never met, will be praying for you!
    You hang in there!!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please forgive me, your name is John not Phil. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori (and Preston),
    Don't worry about the mix-up with the name. My family and I will definitely be pulling and praying for the two of you as you go through this next phase of treatment together. Take care.
    - John

    ReplyDelete