Thursday, January 3, 2013

A Modified Chemo Plan & Help for Neuropathy and Insomnia

Yesterday, I went in to the clinic for a checkup on the pneumonia and with the hopes of beginning my chemo cycle. After my chest x-rays confirmed that there are no further signs of the pneumonia, I met with the Physician's Assistant, Jodi, and with Dr. Kelly Konopa about my neuropathy, which has continued to worsen and become more and more painful. As I mentioned in my last post, neuropathy can be reversible if it's held at bay at the Stage 1 or Stage 2 level. I'm at Stage 2 now, so Dr. Konopa is a bit concerned, considering the speed at which my neuropathy has advanced and the fact that it's been almost 4 weeks since my last infusion of Velcade, which is the chemo drug that can cause the condition. She recommended that we move forward with my oral chemo med, Revlimid, on its own, and see how things go. She also prescribed a new pain med for me, which targets nerve pain. I take it once a day for the first 3 days, then twice a day for the next three days, then three times a day after that. After taking my first dose last night, I can already feel a difference today. There's still pain, but it's not quite as severe as it has been, and it was much better last night. Here's hoping that the neuropathy subsides with the medicine and the lack of Velcade.

Another issue I've been facing for the past couple months is insomnia. I never seem to have trouble falling to sleep; it's staying asleep that's been the problem. We tried Ambien, and it failed. Strike one. Yesterday, I explained that the Lunesta we switched to last week still isn't doing the trick for me. Strike two. So, I was prescribed a third option. I went to bed around 11:30 last night, and only got up once at 5:45 to go to the bathroom. When I was walking to and from the bathroom, I could tell that getting up at 6:20 wouldn't be a good idea, as I was very, very shaky and wobbly in walking. Noelle had to wake me up at 8:10, when she was taking the kids to school, and it still took me about an hour or so to begin to feel "right." I'm thinking we've found a winner for a sleeping pill. I'll have to go to bed a lot earlier if I'm going to be functional enough to drive myself to work by 8am, though.

So, in theory, the schedule for my autologous stem cell transplant has only been delayed by one week, providing missing the Velcade on this cycle doesn't allow my body to start producing plasma cells again.We're looking at mid-February now, only about 6 weeks away. A close friend asked me last night if I'm afraid of the transplant surgery, and I told her I'm not. On the other hand, I am a bit apprehensive about the 3 to 4 weeks I'll have to spend in the hospital. I'm gonna go absolutely crazy sitting on my butt all day. Anyone who knows me well will understand how difficult that would be for me. The 5 1/2 days I was in the hospital to get my chemo under way in October were excruciating for me. I'm so glad that the staff on East-8 are so amazing. They'll help keep me from throwing myself out the window. (Not serious, of course.) The 2 to 6 weeks I'll be convalescing at home won't be as bad, considering I'll be in a more comfortable surrounding with people I love. Unfortunately, my immune system will be so weak that I'll have to be more careful than ever about being around my kids or anyone else who might be carrying any kind of communicable illness. It'll be a long and potentially frustrating month or two. BUT, if it's what has to be done, it's what has to be done. I'll find and focus on the bright side every day to get me through. I think I'll just spend a lot of time reading and watching Netflix, and catching up with friends and family by phone. =0)

1 comment:

  1. I feel for you!! The two Weeks I was in the hospital was awful. It felt like a prison! My ptayers are with you!

    ReplyDelete